Sunday, December 19, 2010

December 19, 2010

December 19, 2010
So! IST (In-Service Training) is officially over and I have set off on my vacation adventures. First stop my friend’s site in Kwa-Zulu Natal. Four of us have spent a relaxing and goofy week chilling in his rondaval (thatch hut) listening to music, going to the beach on sunny days (hitching rides with tourists – it’s so weird to be around so many Afrikaaners because in my small village it’s all black South Africans), and, for my part, reveling in the greenery that is foreign to my part of Mpumalanga. This gorgeous blue-green part of sea is set off by a coral reef and it’s really pleasant to float in the warm swells of the Indian Ocean.
On the 21st, another friends parents will take a larger group of us out to dinner, in another shopping town also near the coast. I’m excited for that, but glad it won’t be as many people as came to IST (50 was too much!)
Then more Christmas in earnest. From the 23-26 I’ll be around East London with 5 friends at a hostel. Other Peace Corps volunteers will be there as well, from other years. There’s talk of white elephant presents and stockings, and I’m glad I’ll be able to continue some traditions I’m familiar with. Even though it’s cool to adventure in this part of the world, being sunburnt in December is kinda strange! 
After Christmas we’re traveling up the Wild Coast to Durban. I know our travel plans and the places we’re staying, but we’ll be playing lots of things by ear, especially for New Year’s in Durban. All I know is the Wild Coast should be beautiful, and Durban will be exciting. A ton of us volunteers will be spread out among various hostels over Durban, so we’ll be able to do group things or split up according to our mood. Yes, we’ll see how it all turns out!
I hope you are all doing fabulously you guys. Miss you, love you, Rebecca 

1 comment:

  1. Hostels are in high demand nowadays among tourists who are on a budget.

    Hostels in Salta

    ReplyDelete